We had a delicious steak dinner made by my husband this past weekend when my cousin came into town from Chicago. It was really great to see him. And being a student, when someone else is doing all the work, the food just tastes so much better. But this recipe is so easy that anyone can make it. Hope you all enjoy it as much as we did. Bon apetit!
FOR THE STEAK:
- 1 lb hangar steak
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp pepper
FOR THE GARLIC BUTTER:
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Pinch of salt
FOR THE CHIMICHURRI SAUCE:
- 1 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/8 cup fresh oregano
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Season the steak on both sides with the salt, sugar and pepper and set aside for about 30 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, combine the parsley, cilantro, garlic, oregano, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper in a blender.
- While blending, slowly pour in the olive oil to coat the mixture well. Remember not to dump the whole amount in all at once. And of course feel free to use less olive oil if you like.
- When the mixture is ready, pour into a lidded container and pop it into the fridge. Btw, you can easily make this mixture well ahead of time, even the day before!
- Now back to the steak. Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat.
- Once hot, place the steak in the skillet and leave untouched for about 3 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, prepare the garlic butter by combining the butter, garlic and salt in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 30 secs or until the butter is melted.
- Once the steak is seared nicely on one side, use tongs and flip it over.
- Add 1 tbsp of the garlic butter to the pan and sear for another 2-3 minutes all while spooning the butter over the steak.
- Remove from heat and let the steak rest for at least 5-7 minutes before slicing it.
- Drizzle some Chimichurri over it and serve!
What an amazing meal this was! The steak was incredible, perfectly cooked – it just melted in my mouth. And that Chimichurri sauce – I couldn’t have enough of it, making sure I licked my plate clean! I can’t wait to try this recipe in Chicago, and impress all my friends 🙂
Thanks for the delicious dinner!