Summer foods are the best! There’s an abundance of vegetables and there’s no limit to what you can make. I chose to make this grain free but feel free to make some brown rice if you like. (Tip: cook the rice in some chicken broth for extra flavor).
Let’s talk for a minute about avocados. Whether you’re eating it in the form of guacamole or as whole, avocados are a naturally nutrient-dense food and contain nearly 20 vitamins and minerals. Healthy for the heart, prevention of osteoporosis, healthy babies, lower risk of depression are just a few of the health benefits. You can read more about the benefits of avocado at http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270406.php
So have fun and grab a margarita to complete this little summer feast!
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into strips
- 1 bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 avocado diced (or use guacamole instead)
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cups salsa (optional)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1 bunch spinach, washed and chopped
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 limes, 1 sliced and the other juiced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (optional)
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes till the onions soften.
- Add chicken and cook all the way through, approx 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add the remaining tsp of oil and add in the vegetables as well.
- Cook till vegetables are soft, approx 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and toss with the chicken.
- Add in the spices and juice of 1 lemon.
- To set up the individual bowls, add spinach and cooked brown rice (if using) and evenly distribute the vegetables and chicken in each bowl.
- Add avocado/guacamole and salsa to each bowl next.
- Add a lime wedge for an extra squeeze.
It looks really good. I must try to make this. I will let you know how it goes.