My mom doesn’t like to cook and she doesn’t. But when she does, it’s pretty incredible! This recipe is and was one of my favorites. What I specially like about this is that you can use your leftover roast chicken to make it (check out the lemon pepper chicken recipe https://wellnessjourneydotblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/22/lemon-herb-roast-chicken/).
The recipe for a lemon vinaigrette dressing is given below. This dressing lasts for about a week when refrigerated in a jar. Just remember to give it a good stir before using. (Note: Alternatively, you could use a store bought lemon/French dressing).
I also chose to serve the salad in red lettuce leaves. Why? Because it looks pretty, tastes good and is a rich source of Vitamin A and Vitamin K.
For the Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp sugar/agave
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan Salt
For the Salad
- 1 large chicken breast, roughly chopped
- 1 bag spinach
- 1/2 small onion, diced fine
- 1 tsp salt
- Start by making the lemon vinaigrette by whisking together all its ingredients in a small bowl.
- Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Allow the dressing to sit for an hour or so, and then whisk again before using.
- Next, cook the spinach in a large pan until it wilts.
- Add in the salt and mix well and remove from heat.
- Mix the diced onions and chicken along with the spinach. (Note: I prefer using red onions here as it adds a little color and the sharper taste adds to the recipe. Feel free to use whatever type you like)
- Give the dressing a good whisk and add to the chicken and spinach mix as per your taste.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.