Being carb free for breakfast tends to be more challenging than any other meal. Most days it’s eggs, turkey bacon and some fresh veggies for me. Boring, I know, specially if it’s everyday!!! So once in a while, I make this quick, delicious and wholesome breakfast. Try it – it’s definitely a winner in my books!!
But let’s take a moment to learn a little more about the star of this dish – avocado. For a couple hundred calories, avocados make a filling addition to any meal or snack, while providing nutritious heart-healthy fats, about half your day’s fiber, folate, vitamin A, potassium and more. Packed full of essential nutrients, avocado benefits include improved heart health, hormone balance, better digestive health and so much more that we’ll dig into below. You can learn more about the benefits of avocado at https://draxe.com/avocado-benefits/
- 1 medium avocado, cut in half and stone removed
- 2 small eggs
- 2 strips turkey bacon, roughly chopped (feel free to use regular bacon if you like or skip it altogether)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Chives for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In the meanwhile, scoop just enough of the avocado out so that it can fit the eggs.
- Gently fill them with the eggs. (Tip: crack the eggs in a bowl and using a spoon, scoop out just the yolk and gently place in the avocado before adding the egg whites)
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven for 12 minutes or more until the eggs are set the way you like it.
- While the avocado and eggs cook, cook the bacon, set aside to drain on some paper towels and then roughly chop them.
- Season the avocados with salt and pepper to taste, top with the bacon and chives and enjoy.