Every now and then, I just need some comfort food. Vegetable rice pulao with a little bit of yogurt and some Indian pickle on the side hits the spot. Even the pickiest of eaters may change their mind after taking a bite of this delicious meal.
I used broccoli, carrots, onions and cauliflower but feel free to load it with whatever vegetables you like. The aroma here comes from the whole spices and is so heart warming! The brown cardamom used in this recipe is loaded with health benefits. According to Organic Facts, the health benefits of cardamom include gastrointestinal protection, cholesterol control, control of cancer, relief from cardiovascular issues, and improvement of blood circulation in the body. It is useful for curing dental diseases and urinary tract infections such as cystitis, nephritis, and gonorrhea. You can read more about the health benefits of brown cardamom here.
So go ahead and indulge yourself.
- 7 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 4 brown cardamoms
- 5 cloves
- 3 med carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 red onion, quartered and separated
- 3 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
- 4 tsp salt
- 3.5 cups water
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker for about 2 minutes.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves and stir for a few seconds.
- Next add in the vegetables.
- Stir and cook for about 2 minutes till the vegetables soften.
- Add in the rice.
- Mix everything allowing it to cook until the rice turns opaque, about 3 minutes.
- Add salt and water and stir once.
- Close the pressure cooker and bring to full pressure on high heat.
- Reduce heat and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove pressure cooker from heat and allow it to cool naturally for 5 minutes.
- Release any remaining pressure in the cooker.
- Serve hot with yogurt, pickles and any of your favorite condiments.