A lovely night before Christmas Eve tradition that I have with my kids is baking cookies. After all, Santa needs cookies and these hit the spot. These are sugar cookies – but this is a slightly healthier take on them. Try them, you won’t be disappointed! (Source: http://www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com)
Merry Christmas to all!!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (just under level)
- 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup white sugar, coconut sugar, or any other sugar substitute
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp milk of choice
- 1/4 cup butter-type spread
- Combine dry ingredients and mix very, very well.
- In a separate bowl, melt the vegan butter, then stir in vanilla and milk.
- Pour dry into wet and mix again.
- Form balls or roll out (not too thin), then use a cookie cutter to make shapes.
- If you want soft cookies, you’ll need to get the dough very cold. (So roll the balls first, then pop them in the fridge until cold.)
- Cook in a 325°F preheated oven for 9 minutes.
- They will look very underdone when you take them out, but that’s ok!! Just let them cool for 5 minutes before touching. (I know it’s hard!)
NOTE: These cookies will keep at least four days, in a lidded plastic container. As a general rule, you should store soft cookies in plastic containers and crispy cookies in glass ones.