Looking for one dish that has both the protein and vegetables covered? Done. Here you go – this simple dish is loaded with nutrients and is so easy to put together.
The star here is the spinach. Low in calories and high in vitamins, spinach is one of the most nutrient-dense foods in existence. One cup of the leafy green vegetable contains far more than your daily requirements of vitamin K and vitamin A, almost all the manganese and folate your body needs and nearly 40 percent of your magnesium requirement. It is a good, very good or excellent source of more than 20 different measurable nutrients, including dietary fiber, calcium and protein. And yet, 1 cup has only 40 calories! Spinach is an excellent choice for nutrition without high calories. You can read more about the health benefits of spinach here.
- 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or water
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1 bag (6 oz) fresh baby spinach leaves
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic, oregano, seasoned salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to skillet; cook 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (at least 165°F).
- Stir wine into skillet.
- Top chicken with tomato slices.
- Cover; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tomatoes are thoroughly heated.
- Add spinach.
- Cover; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted.