This is such a delicious way to make asparagus. There was literally nothing left at the end of the meal. And yes, both my kids ate it happily.. yay!!
According to Medical News Today, asparagus is a commonly eaten vegetable in many parts of the world. It is well known for its unique, savory taste and can be eaten raw or cooked.
It is a good source of folate, vitamin K, iron, and fiber. This makes it valuable during pregnancy and means it can contribute to heart health and the prevention of osteoporosis. You can read more about the health benefits of asparagus here.
- 1 bunch of medium sized asparagus, about 1 lb
- 2 Tbsp of the most exquisite extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a medium saucepan halfway with lightly salted water and bring to a boil.
- While the meanwhile, rinse the asparagus thoroughly; break off any tough, white bottoms and discard.
- Cut the spears into 1 to 2 inch sections, slicing the asparagus at a slight diagonal.
- Add the asparagus to the boiling water and lower the heat slightly to maintain a simmer.
- Parboil the asparagus for exactly 2 minutes.
- Drain the hot water.
- While the asparagus are still hot, toss them in a bowl with the olive oil, Parmesan, and lemon zest.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.