“Little trees” – that’s what my 4 year old calls gobi! I was planning on making a lasagna for dinner but got lazy. It had been a hectic weekend and I needed some comfort food. This recipe is quick and delicious, so we end up having it quite often. So if you are looking for an Indian vegetarian recipe, this is a keeper.
The health benefits of cauliflower include a reduced risk of cancer, heart and brain disorders, relief from indigestion, detoxification of the body, increased iron absorption, and weight loss. This superfood also helps boost eye health, maintain hormonal balance, and prevents diabetes, colitis, respiratory papillomatosis, hypertension, and the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation. It is packed with nutrients and antioxidant power which helps in strengthening the immune system, maintaining bone and cellular health, electrolyte balance, and optimum cholesterol levels. You can read more about the health benefits of cauliflower here.
If you make it, let me know how you like it. I’m quite sure you won’t be disappointed. 🙂
- 1 medium sized Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 small tomato, chopped (or 1/4 cup tomato purée)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnish, optional
- Boil cauliflower florets in salted water along with 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder, until the florets are cooked half way.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onions and sauté till brown.
- Add in ginger garlic paste, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, remaining turmeric powder and salt, and stir for about a minute until mixed well.
- Next add tomatoes, and sauté it until the oil separates.
- Throw in half cooked florets and cook for 5-10 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally. (If you feel that the florets are still not softened, add a little water and cover and cook for an additional few minutes till they reach the desired tenderness).
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.