What is up with this crazy weather? I don’t know which part of the world you are in but here in New York City, one day we are wearing coats and the next day shorts!! It was just one of these crazy cold spells which called for some comfort food and besides this is my sons absolute favorite food in the world! Feel free to add in fresh herbs as they add so much more flavor to the food.
- 1-1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans chopped tomatoes
- 24 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1/2 grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, divided
- 12 lasagna noodles
FOR THE MEAT SAUCE:
- Brown together, ground meat, onion and garlic.
- Add salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, basil, chopped tomatoes with juice; stirring until well mixed.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour (or longer,but watch for getting too dry).
- In the meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Spray a 13 x 9″ baking pan with cooking spray.
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE:
- Combine riccota cheese, eggs, pepper, 2 tablespoons parsley, Parmesan cheese and only 1/2 lb of mozzarella cheese and mix well.
LAYERING THE LASAGNA:
- In a lasagna pan, layer noodles, meat sauce, and cheese mixture; repeat.
- Top off with layer of noodles; sprinkle evenly with remaining mozzarella cheese, making sure to cover noodles completely.
- Bake at 375°F for 40-60 minutes, or until cheese mixture is thoroughly melted. (I would recommend covering with foil for about 20 minutes, then cook uncovered for the remaining time).
- Allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes before cutting and serving.