I love mangos!! I literally just need an excuse to get my hands on them and alphanso mangos (from India)…ooohhhh!! The BEST! Anyway, back to why we are here. It’s summer which means mangos are in season and barbecues are getting fired up. This recipe is one of my favorite summer recipes.
Mangos are a great source of carbohydrates, with an average sized mango containing up to 15g of them. If you eat a normal sized cup full of sliced mango, it will give you nearly 100% of your daily vitamin C value. The other abundant vitamin found in mango is vitamin A. The most abundant mineral is calcium followed by manganese, magnesium, and iron. There are traces of zinc and sodium as well. Other vitamins you obtain from eating a mango are thiamine, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin K and vitamin E. You should never be worried about your cholesterol levels while eating mangos since they don’t have any cholesterol in them. Due to their diversified content of vitamins and minerals, people often call them the super foods or super fruits. You can read more about the health benefits of mangos here.
- 4 6-oz. center-cut pork chops
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the salsa:
- 1-2 mangos, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
For the rub:
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 6-8 cloves, crushed
- Combine the ingredients for the spice rub in a small bowl and stir.
- Rub into the pork chops and set aside.
- Add the mango, tomatoes, cilantro, red wine vinegar, and olive oil to a small bowl and toss to combine and set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan and add 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- When hot, add the seasoned pork chops and cook on medium-high heat for 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Serve warm topped with mango salsa.