I was cleaning out my kitchen closet and came across a cab of coconut milk. I knew immediately there was going to have to be Thai red curry for dinner later that evening. And there were no complaints! 🙂
Coconuts and coconut milk have traditionally gotten a bad rap due to its high saturated fat levels. However, island populations around the world have used the fruit’s meat juice, milk and oil in everything from cooking to disease prevention. Furthermore, the unique fatty acids in coconut milk may aid weight loss, improve immune function, reduce heart disease risk and improve skin and hair health. You can read more about the health benefits of coconut milk here.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb skinless and boneless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 2-3 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 tbsp arrowroot/cornstarch
- 1-14 oz can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces; cook and stir for about 3 minutes.
- Mix in the curry paste, zucchini, bell pepper, carrot and onion.
- Cook and stir for a few minutes.
- Dissolve the arrowroot/cornstarch in the coconut milk.
- Pour the mixture into the skillet.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat for about a minute.
- Right before serving, stir in the cilantro.