Growing up in India, I distinctly remember meals with a nice roast and this delicious baked vegetable dish on the side. So I took a stab at it and this is what I came up with. I have to admit this came pretty close to what we used to eat. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
For The White Sauce
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot mixed with 1/2 cup of milk
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups mixed vegetables
- 2 cups chopped, mixed vegetables (1/2 cup parboiled broccoli florets, 1/2 cup parboiled cauliflower florets, 1/2 cup boiled chopped carrots, 1/2 cup boiled potato cubes) NOTE: feel free to use any vegetables you like
- 1 cup cooked pasta (macaroni works well)
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the white sauce
- Heat the butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the plain flour and cook on a slow flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes,
- Add the milk and cornstarch mix and add to the sauce and cooktill the sauce thickens, while stirring continuously.
- Add the salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- In a wide pan saute the vegetables in a little butter, add salt and pepper and mix.
- Add the pasta and mix well.
- Grease a baking dish with some butter.
- Spread the vegetables and pasta mixture evenly.
- Pour the white sauce evenly over it and sprinkle the cheese over it and bake in a pre-heated oven at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot!